My dog is scared and won't sit still or sleep!!!

Old January 6th 08, 02:38 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
WakeBdr

Default My dog is scared and won't sit still or sleep!!!

This started Thursday evening. My 3.5 year old Boykin Spaniel will
not sit still or sleep. She keeps pacing around like she's deathly
afraid of something. Every now and then, she'll take off running like
something tried to get her. She only seems to be content when she is
sitting directly on top of us. Over the past two nights, she may have
slept a total of 2 hours. We've been to the vet twice and they can't
seem to find anything wrong with her. My wife says it looks like
she's afraid of a ghost or something.

It's absolutely killing me to see her like this. Anyone got any ideas
of what might cause something like this?
Old January 6th 08, 03:45 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
diddy[_2_]

WakeBdr spoke these words of wisdom in
:

This started Thursday evening. My 3.5 year old Boykin Spaniel will
not sit still or sleep. She keeps pacing around like she's deathly
afraid of something. Every now and then, she'll take off running like
something tried to get her. She only seems to be content when she is
sitting directly on top of us. Over the past two nights, she may have
slept a total of 2 hours. We've been to the vet twice and they can't
seem to find anything wrong with her. My wife says it looks like
she's afraid of a ghost or something.

It's absolutely killing me to see her like this. Anyone got any ideas
of what might cause something like this?

You might get your house wiring checked?

Old January 6th 08, 05:19 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
FurPaw[_2_]

diddy wrote:

You might get your house wiring checked?

Why? (Not contentious, curious).

FurPaw

--
"Every gun that is made, every warship launched,
every rocket fired, signifies in the final sense

To reply, unleash the dogs.
Old January 6th 08, 05:52 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
diddy[_2_]

FurPaw spoke these words of wisdom in
:

diddy wrote:

You might get your house wiring checked?

Why? (Not contentious, curious).

FurPaw

Because if something is going awry in the wiring, a dog might notice with a
human unaware.

My dogs started acting wierd a couple years ago. Danny, who had alerted us
to TWO fires, seemed very attuned to those kind of things.
He started pacing, and had an unexplained restlessness. Since he currently
was in a state where he was already having medical issues, we assumed his
restlessness was from a known cause. But then something tipped us off that
there was a household wiring problem of serious nature. We called in an
electrician who fixed the problem and suddenly Danny stopped his wierd
restless behavior.

We didn't associate the behaviors until the problem was fixed and Danny
returned to normal.

So although we never proved Danny was trying to tell us something was
wrong, and this dog HAS been checked by a vet.. I maintain.. just something
icky and squicky in the back of my mind.. niggles and jiggles, and tells me
to suggest getting their wiring checked.

Can't prove anything.. just a hunch. It might save their lives. It sounds
so whacked out, I'm embarrassed to explain it. But since you asked..
Old January 6th 08, 08:46 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Paul E. Schoen

. ..

diddy wrote:

[...]

You may have a valid point there. A bad connection in a switch or outlet
could be arcing and making high pitched noises beyond human hearing, or
generate ozone that a dog might be able to detect. There could also be
flickering in lights that the dog might detect, or heat coming from an
outlet that is located where humans might not notice. There could also be
unusual noises from an appliance that is starting to make noise. Anything
with a motor in it, like a refrigerator, fan, or even a clock, could
produce a noise that a dog would notice as something awry.

Other possibilities are mice or other animals scratching inside the walls
or under the floor, or an outside source of humanly inaudible noise. Maybe
a sound amplifier might pick up such noises. I think there are some that
will lower the pitch of sounds to make them audible to humans.

Other possibilities are that a family member may be sick, and could have a
special odor that could indicate an infection or even cancer. There was a
recent news story where a family's dog suddenly started making the parents
pay special attention to their young child, and she was found to have
leukemia. Once it was treated, and she went into remission, the dog
returned to normal behavior (and was hailed as a hero).

It would be interesting to see if this dog exhibits the same behavior at
someone else's house, or even in another room.

Paul and Muttley

Old January 6th 08, 01:00 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Kathleen

diddy wrote:

[...]

I'd start with putting fresh batteries in the smoke and carbon monoxide
detectors, and not just because of the possibility of a wiring problem.

When the battery in the smoke detector in our hallway is getting weak it
begins emitting periodic chirps; easy for me to miss, at least at first,
amid the noises of a busy household. Zane notices it right away,
though. The first time I saw him react I thought he was nuts. He spun
around, stared at the ceiling (I thought) and barked.

Old January 7th 08, 07:28 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
ChrisJ

diddy wrote:

[...]

around, stared at the ceiling (I thought) and barked.- Hide quoted text -

This is a good point. I've known two dogs who were scared/alarmed of
that repeating little beep coming from a smoke detector with a low
battery. One was just a bit anxious, the other dog was absolutely
petrified (wide eyed, shivering, rapid pacing, panting). I don't know
what is so darn scary about that beep but it certainly weirds some
dogs out.

Chris and her two smoothies,
Pablo and Lucy
Old January 7th 08, 08:27 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
FurPaw[_2_]

diddy wrote:
[...]

It makes eminent sense to me. Wiring or connections going awry
might give off sounds or smells that we hoomins can't hear.

I'd start with putting fresh batteries in the smoke and carbon monoxide
detectors, and not just because of the possibility of a wiring problem.

When the battery in the smoke detector in our hallway is getting weak it
begins emitting periodic chirps;

This is a good point. I've known two dogs who were scared/alarmed of
that repeating little beep coming from a smoke detector with a low
battery. One was just a bit anxious, the other dog was absolutely
petrified (wide eyed, shivering, rapid pacing, panting). I don't know
what is so darn scary about that beep but it certainly weirds some
dogs out.

A beeping/chirping/clicking smoke detector weirds my dogs out,
too. In our previous house, one started going off in the
basement. We couldn't hear it from upstairs but the dogs
certainly did, and it took a couple of days to figure out what
was driving them nuts.

FurPaw

Old January 10th 08, 01:28 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
[email protected]

On Jan 6, 1:38*am, WakeBdr wrote:
This started Thursday evening. *My 3.5 year old Boykin Spaniel will
not sit still or sleep. *She keeps pacing around like she's deathly
afraid of something. *Every now and then, she'll take off running like
something tried to get her. *She only seems to be content when she is
sitting directly on top of us. *Over the past two nights, she may have
slept a total of 2 hours. *We've been to the vet twice and they can't
seem to find anything wrong with her. *My wife says it looks like
she's afraid of a ghost or something.

It's absolutely killing me to see her like this. *Anyone got any ideas
of what might cause something like this

My 1 year old staffi is the same. like tonight we went to bed as
normal and bout half hour later he is running round like summat
demented, tried ignoring him and he just wants to be on top of me, but
when i fuss him he is very reluctant.

This started for us that when we first got him he slept in the kitchen
then through trust we let him have the run of the downstairs, only
sleeping with us at weekends as we always have a house full of
friends. then one week day he decided he would scratch at the
downstairs door. We let him up as were working and didnt need
sleepless nights. then bout 2 weeks later he woke me up panting. Now i
thort he was horny. but there was no other signs apart from the
panting. I think this is now as he is too hot. (even though i will put
him out side...take him for walks at 2 in the morning and he STILL
pants!!!) when he was panting he always had to be like on my face!!
(very annoying!!!)

Now in the last two weeks he hasnt been panting but always looks down
our hallway towards the back bedroom and bathroon (a area of the house
i cant say i like the feel of to be honest.....just summat creepy...)
and keeps being sick....only bringing bile up and always on the back
bedroom spare bed (how minging?!?!?)

In the evening he dont spend them with us on the sofa like he always
has....he would ratha but upstairs in either our room or backroom.

Another thing he has never chewed anything from the day we got him but
now he has got the thing for capets (like the new one we only put down
3 weeks ago in the bedroon) when we are out!

I really do not no what to do with him as he gets lots of walks and
always running round on backgarden so he has to be atleast a little
tired.

Any suggestions on that one?!
Old January 11th 08, 08:55 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Beth In Alaska

On 2008-01-09 19:28:39 -0500, said:

Any suggestions on that one?!

See a vet?

yes, these dogs sound like they may be in pain.

Scared kraymer Dog health 1 November 5th 05 01:43 PM
scared dog? Eric Dog behavior 24 March 16th 04 04:26 PM
scared dog? Eric Dog behavior 0 March 14th 04 02:00 AM
scared dog? Eric Dog behavior 0 March 14th 04 02:00 AM
Where does your dog sleep?¿ Frank Morris Dog breeds 22 October 20th 03 06:15 AM