Sudden changes

Old January 19th 09, 03:07 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
diddy[_2_]

Default Sudden changes

Reka has always been a well adjusted dog. Not exactly outgoing, but
certainly not afraid of anything.

The week before last, she went in for her geriatric baseline panels as she
just turned 8. Everything went well.

Monday, she had further tests scheduled, and she was at the vets, but Tuck
got called on a search and rescue mission. Not knowing when we would
return, I went to the vets and picked her up untested, with intent to
reschedule at a later date.

She goes back in tomorrow.

So the standard advice of seeing a vet applies to any behavioral changes.

But yesterday, she suddenly cannot walk from the hallway over the
threshold to the living room. And once in the living room, she cannot cross
the threshold into the kitchen.

She seems healthy, and once she builds the nerve to cross the thresholds,
(Which may take as long as a half hour or so) she often completely gets
over the threshold, and backs up and starts the whole process all over
again. This is a sudden onset neurosis. I've never seen anything like it.

Any ideas?

Old January 19th 09, 04:02 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Kathleen

diddy wrote:

[...]

Bizarre.

Stroke or head injury?

Visual issues? Can you tell if she can see where she's going?

Floor surfaces? Is she afraid of slipping? Could she have fallen,
injured herself somehow while out of your sight?

Old January 19th 09, 04:11 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
diddy[_2_]

Kathleen spoke these words of wisdom in
:

diddy wrote:

[...]

Don't think so

Visual issues? Can you tell if she can see where she's going?

PRA is well known in our breed, as is glaucoma.
She passed CERF a couple of months ago, but it's certainly worth
considering, because I believe both are sudden onset

Floor surfaces? Is she afraid of slipping? Could she have fallen,
injured herself somehow while out of your sight?

She seems to be afraid of slipping. And my floors are slippery. But she's
spent her whole life on them, why be fearful now? I put a runner over the
thresholds, but she's still whacky about going over it

Old January 19th 09, 08:11 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Tara Green

chardonnay9 wrote:
diddy wrote:
[...]

Perhaps I missed where she mentioned any vaccinations being given.
Old January 19th 09, 08:15 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Tara Green

diddy wrote:
[...]

I don't (well, besides ghosts, of course).

But on the off chance that it's behavioral, I wouldn't let her stand
there freaking out for that long. She's likely taking fear and
exacerbating it to the point of terror, from the sound of it.

I forget if you clicker train at all (I remember you used neutral
markers though IINM), but I would definitely try to get her mind OFF of
the entryway as much as possible.

I hope these new tests go alright.

Old January 19th 09, 10:03 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Phyrie

"chardonnay9" wrote in message
m...
Vaccinosis

**** off and die, you evil bitch...

If you keep this up, someone might be forced to do something about you.

Giving medical advice is going to bite you on the ass if you don't shut the
**** up....

Old January 19th 09, 02:21 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
diddy[_2_]

Tara Green spoke these words of wisdom in
:

chardonnay9 wrote:
diddy wrote:
[...]

If I did, it's not been for a year
Old January 19th 09, 03:33 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Robin Nuttall

diddy wrote:

But yesterday, she suddenly cannot walk from the hallway over the
threshold to the living room. And once in the living room, she cannot cross
the threshold into the kitchen.

Has anything else in the environment changed? A new chair or other
object in her line of sight?

Eleven year old Viva does very well, but she's getting way set in her
ways. Last week I bought a Vornado and placed it in the living room, and
as far as Viva is concerned, it's a new thing in her environment and it
is evil. I found this out when I left her in her usual spot on the couch
and went to bed the first night, only to wake to her growling and
staring down this new and extremely offensive object. I got her by it
and put her in her crate and she was fine.

She's gotten better as the week has gone on, but I still have to escort
her by the Vornado and if she's in the living room by herself with it,
she'll whine at it.

Also don't underestimate that she may have hurt herself and now be
reluctant in that particular area, and I 3rd the vision thing.
Old January 19th 09, 03:42 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
diddy[_2_]

Robin Nuttall spoke these words of wisdom in
newsb0dl.476090$TT4.365411@attbi_s22:

diddy wrote:

But yesterday, she suddenly cannot walk from the hallway over the
threshold to the living room. And once in the living room, she cannot
cross the threshold into the kitchen.

Has anything else in the environment changed? A new chair or other
object in her line of sight?

Eleven year old Viva does very well, but she's getting way set in her
ways. Last week I bought a Vornado and placed it in the living room, and
as far as Viva is concerned, it's a new thing in her environment and it
is evil.

what is a Vornado?

And I can understand this from an 11 year old dog. But certainly NOT an 8
year old dog. Not one that has always been unaffected by new changes and
took them in stride.

I left her at the vets this morning while she has some additional testing
done, and mentioned her unusual behaviors.

He examined her eyes and tested her pressures and everything seemed ok.

I'd rather it be psychological than something permanently unfixable.

But as well adjusted as she's always been , I'd be surprised at the
psychological breakdown.

I made her sleep in the living room last night, so she did not have to
cross any thresholds.