Congestive heart failure

Old March 3rd 04, 02:03 AM
suki1964

Default Congestive heart failure

Gunnar our 10 year old cocker spaniel was diagnosed with CHF in Oct last
year. He had kennel cough when we got him as a pup and it left him with a
heart murmur which caused no problems till last year when he became exercise
intolerant and was constantly panting. He has been on Vasotop 2.5mg since
and it was like having a new dog.
Since Jan of his year we noticed he was getting fatter and fatter even
though he was on a strict diet. On examination by the vet he was put on
frusemide 40mg to help him shift the fluids. Since then he has gotten larger
and larger and the vet has increased the frusemide to 100mg.
Basically we are being told that Gunnar has only around 6 more months if we
are lucky, that the only treatment is diuretics and that they will finally
lose the battle.Obviously we are devastated. The hardest part is, apart from
the huge tight stomach, you wouldn't know there was anything wrong with him.
He's extremely active, constantly getting his toys out to play and is eating
like a horse and really does look bright eyed and bushy tailed.
Any advice would be welcome.
Many thanks

Old March 3rd 04, 06:25 AM
Jo Wolf

Just love him and work with the vet. When CHF is severe, and the dog is
elderly, the medications beingused for your sweetie are the appropriate
ones. The fact that the furosemide is not clearing the fluid well may
indicate some degree of kidney failure, which is also common in elderly
dogs. Discuss this with your vet; some change in diet may be
indicated... or not indicated... but you do need to know....

Bless his old self... at least his take on life is a hearty one and he's
enjoying being alive. That's a big plus.

Jo Wolf
Martinez, Georgia

Old March 3rd 04, 08:37 PM

One thing we have been doing for my parent's dog .. it is not a
permanent fix by any means. The vet has drained fluid from their dog.
The first time they drained 3.5 lbs of fluid from him. It lasts
about 2-3 weeks. They changed his diuretic to aldactone 25mg. He
doesn't seem to be drinking as much as when he was on the lasix.
Currently he is on Theophylline, vasotec 2.5mg, aldactone, and
lanoxin. His personality is still there but he doesn't play/run
anymore. He has already outlived what the cardiologist thought.

good luck with your babe!

tracey

(Jo Wolf) wrote in message ...
Just love him and work with the vet. When CHF is severe, and the dog is
elderly, the medications beingused for your sweetie are the appropriate
ones. The fact that the furosemide is not clearing the fluid well may
indicate some degree of kidney failure, which is also common in elderly
dogs. Discuss this with your vet; some change in diet may be
indicated... or not indicated... but you do need to know....

Bless his old self... at least his take on life is a hearty one and he's
enjoying being alive. That's a big plus.

Jo Wolf
Martinez, Georgia

Vomiting and Heart Guard C. L. Dog health 2 November 6th 03 02:33 AM
Vomiting and Heart Guard C. L. Dog health 0 November 5th 03 10:06 PM
heart problems ?? Julie Dog health 2 August 18th 03 07:07 PM
heart problems ?? Julie Dog health 0 August 18th 03 04:53 PM
Renal failure - How long? buglady Dog health 3 July 26th 03 04:33 AM