Ivermectin sensitivity test available! Survey responses needed

Old September 17th 03, 01:41 AM
dianne marie schoenberg

Default Ivermectin sensitivity test available! Survey responses needed

Could you please forward this message to Collie and other herding breed
newsgroup and email lists. I would like to know if there are enough people
interested in knowing if their dog will be sensitive to ivermectin and other drugs,
and if we will be able to run the test for the price people are willing to
spend for it.

The first section of the survey is information about the testing
process and the last section contains the two survey questions.

Thanks,

Steve Bentjen
Veterinary Clinical Pharmacology Laboratory,
Washington State University College of Veterinary Medicine

Collies, Australian Shepherds and other herding breeds can have toxic
reactions to ivermectin, loperamide (Imodiumr), anticancer agents and
other drugs. Until recently we did not know why some of the
individual dogs of these breeds were sensitive and others were not.
Now, the mystery has been solved, we know that the sensitivity is
caused by a mutation in the Multi-Drug Resistance gene-This gene is
responsible for pumping drugs and other toxins out of the brain.

We can now get a sample of the dog's DNA by brushing the inside of its
cheek and sequence the DNA to find out if an individual dog will be
sensitive or not to these drugs. So, dogs that are not sensitive
could be treated with these drugs, and owners of sensitive dogs will
know which drugs to avoid. Our research program is presently
identifying (with funding from the Collie Club of America Foundation
and cooperation from numerous owners and veterinarians) other drugs
that these dogs are sensitive to.

There has been considerable demand from dog owners to offer the test
on a commercial basis to the public, as many owners would like to know
their dog's status when they go to a vet for treatment, or simply want
to give their dog an over-the-counter drug like Imodium.

How the test is done:

We send you brushes to brush you dog's cheek (similar to brushing your
teeth, only you brush the your dog's cheek and gums). You send the
brushes back to us. We run the test and give you the results. It
takes us about two weeks to run the test. So, including mailing the
brushes out to owners, and owners mailing them back, we expect it will
take about three weeks to complete the test.

We need your help to find out:

If there is enough demand for this test.

If pet owners and/or breeders are willing to pay enough to cover the
costs of labor and use of (expensive) equipment such as a DNA sequencer.

Please answer two simple questions:

1.) How much you would spend to test your dog:

(Please check one)

__ Nothing- I don't want to get my dog(s) tested.

__$30

__$50

__75$

__$100 or more

2.) I am an:

(Please check one)

__owner

__breeder

__both owner and breeder

Please forward or send in this survey to:

Thank you for your participation.

Old September 17th 03, 02:23 AM
Rocky

dianne marie schoenberg said in rec.pets.dogs.health:

Could you please forward this message to Collie and other
herding breed newsgroup and email lists.

I forwarded this to the agilityaussies yahoo group. Thanks
Dianne.

Old September 18th 03, 02:44 AM
Shelly & The Boys

"Rocky" wrote in message
dianne marie schoenberg said in rec.pets.dogs.health:

Could you please forward this message to Collie and other
herding breed newsgroup and email lists.

I forwarded this to the agilityaussies yahoo group. Thanks
Dianne.

Yep, and I'll send it off to Belg-L, after I check all my messages to
see if someone else hasn't beaten me to it. :-)
Thanks!
Shelly & The Boys

Old September 18th 03, 03:42 AM
Rocky

Shelly & The Boys said in rec.pets.dogs.health:

I forwarded this to the agilityaussies yahoo group.
Thanks Dianne.

Yep, and I'll send it off to Belg-L, after I check all my
messages to see if someone else hasn't beaten me to it.

My response to the researcher said that I'd pay 100 bucks.
After all, it's a one-time thing, and if it saves your dog from
a nasty Ivermectin reaction - why not?

As a side note, I received one response directly to me.
Owner/breeder, not interested in testing.