Spayed dog - strange behavior

Old June 8th 19, 01:40 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

Default Spayed dog - strange behavior

My 10 year old dog, I believe a boxer pit bull mix was spayed a week and a few days ago. I thought she was in crazy amounts of pain because she barely ate, and I had to put peanut butter on what ever it was to get her to eat the little she would. And she would pant and scream ( really loud and weird whines) and shake. But she would also dig at the bed, carpet, pillows, blankets, anything, she would also seem to want to get in small spaces, and pace around the room. I gave her a toy and was excited she actually took it, but then she started going quickly from room to room screaming in a big circle, and even tried to squeeze into my closet. I had to take the stuffed toy from her. I decided she isn't in pain, she is just crazy anxious. I've taken her to the vet twice, and she is physically fine. Doc gave her an antibiotic just in case. She has gotten alittle better, but she still is not her self, still panting often, and I come home and she has dug in all the pillows and blankets.. I'm trying to to panic as there has been some improvement. She was spayed a week and 3 days ago. Vet seems to think she will go back to her self shortly, but if not we will try treating for a rare diease called addison's. Sounds like she might just be freaking out from hormones from what I've read here. Does this sound right? When did everyone's puppies go back to normal. I'm so tired and worried. And I feel like the body snatchers stole my best friend and put a different dog in my dogs body.. 😥 also my dog seems stressed the hell out alot, it's better, but I dont want my girl to feel anything but happy!!! Help. Answers and opinions please. Thanks.
Old August 6th 19, 02:31 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

Shes nesting do you have any stuffed toys you can give her to comfort. Also the eating issue bring her bowl to where she is nesting. Try massaging her laying with her and comforting her with lots of blankets. It should pass soon
Old January 20th 20, 04:30 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

Hi! Just wondering if your dog is any better? My dog got spayed a week ago and she is acting the EXACT same!! I’m so scared and worried. The vet put her on Trazodone for anxiety but only for 7 days. So I pray she goes back to normal.
Old February 17th 20, 04:08 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

It’s 2020 & although an old original post, this may help some. Our golden at 3 yrs of age did these same nesting behaviors before getting spayed 5 days ago due to an infection. She’s more amped up than when she was last in heat. Now that I know what this is, i just give her ‘calm’ chew treats with hemp, from Amazon. CBD oil sometimes works but hemp products are less expensive & help lower the anxiety, digging, whining, & trying to hide & bury stuffed toys. Tonight was hard for us to watch her, so I double dosed her with chews & a droppler of doggie hemp. Took a while but thankfully she calmed dog enough to sleep as long as we lay next to her to reassure her she was ok. I prefer this over prescription drugs & thankful I work from home so I can walk her during the day & monitor her. She travels with me also. Gives me peace of mine that even if she doesn’t get over this, there are natural ways to treat her without harmful prescriptions.
Old February 17th 20, 05:23 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

wrote:

[...]

Thats ok, old posts (as long as not expecting someone from long ago to
still be here) tend to be informative.

Here's another you may experience with your 3YO. If she starts to
'leak a bit' (trouble holding urine), it's apt to be the sudden removal
of natural estrogen.

If she's not soy allergic, a natural remedy that costs little is tofu.
I've had 2 late spay females (one 18, the other 9 when spayed) and both
had issues there which tofu resolved.

I used a locally produced semi-organic (meaning didn't have the
where-withall to get labeled as such but they didn't use pesticides on
the soybeans) for 33cents per hand-chopped roughly 8oz block. They got
about 1 oz a day. Much MUCH less expensive than the prescription drugs
at the vets and I feel it was better for them overall. Natural plant
based estrogen.
Old April 12th 20, 11:46 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

I was a little bit worried my six-year-old English setter was just spayed three days ago and she started doing some of the same things. Trying to dig a hole in the carpet hiding under my desk hiding in between dressers but I think it’s just a hormonal thing she’s eating better so I’m not too worried