DogBanter

DogBanter (http://www.dogbanter.com/index.php)
-   Dog health (http://www.dogbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Yowls and Congestive Heart Disease (http://www.dogbanter.com/showthread.php?t=47156)

bad sector December 15th 20 03:01 AM

Yowls and Congestive Heart Disease

I'm going to describe my dogs last days in
case someone should google for this info.
A 15 year old Tibetan-Terrier, he started
coughing last summer. We put him on meds
to decrease water retention in the lungs.
Everything was going fairly good but a few
weeks ago he suddenly got worse. The vet
was going to increase the dosage but we
never got around to that. He would just keel
over at times and yowl loudly, this happened
maybe a dozen times in a week. He lost bladder
control and would often just stand totally
disoriented. We took him to the vet for a last
time today.

I'd like to know if he had been yowling because
of heart failure pain, from pain from the act of
collapsing, or because of panic? I have seen
dogs hit by cars and even badly shot and
yowling in agony, it's impossible to bear such
vocalizations. I also know that cardiac infarction
can be very painful but this was probably not
that. Severe arrhythmia or fibrillation while not
painful in my experience can cause severe panic
and I don't think one could make any sounds
during such episodes.

Joshua Whitley December 15th 20 03:45 PM

Yowls and Congestive Heart Disease

Sorry for your loss.

bad sector December 15th 20 05:11 PM

Yowls and Congestive Heart Disease

On 12/15/20 10:45 AM, Joshua Whitley wrote:

Sorry for your loss.

Thanks, I was just curious in order to better
understand what he went through. Some people
claim that it could be emotional stress but dogs
tend to rather howl like wolves at such times. He
used to howl when left alone in the house so
we quickly stopped that a long time ago. According
to the vets these collapses into unconsciousness
also carry elements of epilepsy due to lack of blood
to the brain but I know nothing about that side of
the topic, vets would know more. Finally in order to
avoid any future mistakes I may have made, I'll
probably look into the causes because it seems that
only about 10-15% of dogs end up with the condition.

bad sector December 22nd 20 04:53 AM

On 12/15/20 12:11 PM, bad sector wrote:
On 12/15/20 10:45 AM, Joshua Whitley wrote:

Sorry for your loss.

Thanks, I was just curious in order to better understand what he went
through. Some people claim that it could be emotional stress but
dogs tend to rather howl like wolves at such times. He used to howl
when left alone in the house so we quickly stopped that a long time
ago. According to the vets these collapses into unconsciousness

also carry elements of epilepsy due to lack of blood to the brain but
I know nothing about that side of the topic, vets would know more.
Finally in order to avoid any future mistakes I may have made, I'll

probably look into the causes because it seems that

only about 10-15% of dogs end up with the condition.

I'm going to append this in case someone might be
desparately googling for answers

The first 3 instances of collapse my dog was crying out
loud for help (very hard to take!). But the subsequent 4 or 5
events he didn't, he just laid there motionless so my hunch
is that initially he was really panicking in a world of darkness,
dizziness and who know what but then he got used to the
sensation. This, anyway, would be a better situation than
one of excrutiating pain.

I'm no vet so I don't know!